Earlier this year I posted a yummy lentil soup recipe and I know quite a few readers gave it a try and really enjoyed it. Now, I know it’s not exactly soup weather, but I have updated the recipe and changed it around a little to make it Weight Watchers friendly. I understand that previous recipe was ‘free’ on Slimming World Extra Easy, but it was a bit too high on Weight Watchers points. So here is my Weight Watchers version (incidentally if you are not watching your weight, this soup is just as nice as the previous recipe, perhaps a little nicer, and it is not as thick).
3 points per serving, recipe serves 4
- Calorie controlled cooking spray oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped (seeds in if you like it spicy, otherwise, take them out)
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of paprika (I used the hot smoked type)
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 125 g dried red lentils
- 1 litre of hot chicken stock (vegetable would also be fine)
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- A handful of fresh coriander
- Spray your pan with cooking spray and allow it to get hot. Fry the onions for 5 minutes until they start to soften then add the garlic, chilli and spices. Stir and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils to the pan as well as the stock and tomatoes and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the lentils are cooked.
- Blend the soup until smooth and serve topped with fresh, chopped coriander. I serve this soup with a Weight Watchers naan bread for an additional 3 points.