For today’s “Things I Like Thursday I have one word… Chiaogoo! I was lucky enough to receive a set if Chiaogoo interchangeable knitting needles for Christmas from the lovely Kate and Charles (friends of the iMake podcast). I received the set pictured above and I can honestly say I now know what all the fuss is about. They are heavenly to knit with.
I’ve been knitting with wooden/bamboo knitting needles for years and I love them. They are light and comfortable. For knitting in the round, I have been using Knit Pro Symphonie Wood Interchangeables. They are great, but I had a tendency to snap them (!) and also the join between the needle and the cable was’t always totally smooth. Very occasionally the tips of the needles become a little rough.
This isn’t an issue with stainless steel interchangeables.
Here are the things I like about my Chiaogoos…
- The case is lovely, it has lots of little pockets and the slots where you store the needles show the needle size so you can stay really organised. There is room for more needles in the case for when I increase my collection.
- The kit also included some nice stitch markers, end caps, keys to tighten the needles and a needle gauge.
- The cables are sturdy and don’t curl up.
- The needles are light and sharp – ideal for lace knitting.
- The needle size is etched on the tip so it does rub off (this tends to happen with the Knit Pro needles).
- I have the ‘small’ knit, but there is a good selection of needle sizes, starting with a size 2/2.75mm going up to size 7/5mm.
- They are just lovely to knit with…!
And just in case you were wondering what Chiaogoo means and how to pronounce it…
Chiao (chau) – crafty
Goo (gu) – lady